The Risk Factor
The Impact of the Subconscious on Risk-Based Decision Making
This paper examines the importance of incorporating cognitive, behavioral and affective elements into risk-based decision making to improve the value and internalization of safe decision making and actions.
Complete this form to download the full paper.
DuPont Sustainable Solutions’ new personal risk awareness solution that applies the latest research in neuroscience and decision making to help employees make safer decisions on and off the job.
Risk is all around us. As a safety professional, you’re constantly striving to get your employees to make better, safer decisions. Yet, even when you do everything in your power to prevent incidents from occurring, one momentary lapse in focus is all it takes…
How can you get your employees to stop taking unnecessary risks?
That is the goal of The Risk Factor, a groundbreaking new personal safety awareness offering from DuPont Sustainable Solutions. Its design is simple: improve employees’ personal accountability for their safety by helping them understand how they interpret and respond to the world around them; and provide them with the tools they need to make safer decisions.
The Risk Factor addresses the human element, helping identify and influence how individuals feel and act when it comes to risk. This innovative approach focuses on the motivations behind our decision making.
Research suggests that we make thousands of decisions every day – including risk-based decisions – and up to 90 percent fall beneath our level of awareness and are reinforced through our feelings and emotions.
The Risk Factor can help your organization systematically improve the safety and well-being of your employees and enhance your safety culture by teaching them how to elevate their awareness and make conscious, deliberate choices when it comes to risk.
Why Do We Take Unnecessary Risks?
The answers lie in our motivations, our mindsets, and even, in our emotions. New research in the areas of neuroscience and affective psychology details the role that feelings and emotions play in our decision-making process. This research suggests that we make thousands of decisions every day – including risk-based decisions. Up to 90 percent are made automatically and intuitively and are reinforced through feelings and emotions.
Many might think that our decisions are based on the gathering of information and the analyzing of data such as training and safety methods – the logical way we process that information. But, neuroscience tells us that we make 85 to 90 percent of our decisions based on feelings and emotions.
Elevating Safety Affectively
The Risk Factor applies this new research to help organizations systematically improve their safety culture. This innovative personal safety awareness program helps workers elevate their awareness and reduce unsafe decisions and behaviors by making conscious, deliberate choices when it comes to risk.
The Risk Factor consists of five modules: Own It, Choose It, Change It, Champion It and Lead It. These modules work together to build a better understanding of human motivational factors and the subsequent impact on the decision-making process.
- The Own It module challenges the preconception that decisions and actions fall into one of two categories: safe or unsafe. Instead it deals with the fact that most situations do not present us with absolutes, but with varying degrees of risk. We are all risk takers. Participants begin to realize the number of decisions they make daily and what influences their subconscious decision-making.
- Choose It illustrates how people choose elements that govern their risk choices, from rewards to emotions and other drivers. This modules introduces the tools employees need to make a deliberate choice to reduce personal risk.
- The Change It module sets out to alter the way in which people perceive, approach and analyze risk. Participants learn how to change their decision-making process and their relationship to risk, through conscious actions.
- A fourth module, called Champion It, is specifically designed for supervisors to help them reinforce elements from The Risk Factor and inspire employees to choose safety on and off the job.
- The fifth module, Lead It helps employees develop an understanding of authentic, persuasive, peer-to-peer leadership to inform, inspire and influence co-workers to reduce personal risk.
Why Choose The Risk Factor?
- Improves personal accountability for safety by helping employees understand how they interpret and respond to the world around them.
- Addresses the human element, helping identify and influence how individuals feel and act when it comes to risk.
- Provides the tools to help your employees make safer decisions and elevate safety culture to the next level.
At the end of The Risk Factor program, your employees will discover ways to reduce the number of risky decisions they make as they learn to OWN the fact that they take risks, CHOOSE safer behaviors, and CHANGE their behavior related to risk. Your leaders and supervisors will learn how to CHAMPION their employees, influence the decision making process, and in turn reduce unnecessary levels of risk.